Saturday, August 4, 2012

28 Weeks

My water broke 2 days ago.  I was laying in bed and suddenly knew I had peed my little pants, I hadn't of course, it was my water breaking.  Eventually I thought it was a good idea to just get checked out and see if everything was ok.  I headed to Orem Community Hospital and they confirmed that it has broken and I was heading to UVRMC because they have an amazing NICU which I would be needing. 
I have been so overwhelmed.  Not quite sure how to take in all the information I have received over the last couple days.  the deal is I'm having this baby sooner then I want sooner then I should which means he will be spending time in the Neonatal ICU or NICU.  I'm only 28 weeks so this little guy is about 2 pounds right now and if he were born now he would not be able to suck, so he will be on a feeding tube.  He will have problems breathing on his own so he will be on oxygen and I'm sure a few other machines. 

This is a baby at 28 weeks old


Luckily I haven't been contracting and so the doctors feel like he can stay inside my body and cook for as long as possible.  They will deliver no matter what at 34 weeks because by then the risk of infection is greater then the risks to the baby being outside my body. I'm praying everyday my body can keep this baby safe and he will stay where he needs to be.  Right now there is no infection for either of us and even though he is swimming in VERY little fluid babies can replenish their amniotic fluid that he can maintain enough for him to breath in.  I can feel him moving so that is a constant comfort.
I am terrified if I'm being honest. Not knowing what is going to happen is lonely.  Jake is amazing but his body isn't doing this mine is. What if my body decides to become infected and won't hold my little baby inside anymore.  I will lay in this terrible hospital bed for all 6 weeks if he will have me.  Franklin was born at 41 weeks and was 8 lbs 15 oz. and Adelaide was 39 weeks and weighted 7 lbs 12 oz. this is not what I am used to at all.  My sisters have both had preemie babies so I have some understanding about what my future will be like at the hospital which makes me so grateful.
I am eternally thankful for my testimony in eternal families, my loving Heavenly Father, my incredible earthly family, friends who have stepped up to help and the movement I feel in my belly.
I know I am in a hospital that I have seen do amazing things with the tiniest babies.  My prayers are strong enough they are passionate enough but it is gods will.  I will do all I can and then give it to him.  
I love you baby Louie! I have been waiting for you and I have been just as impatient to meet you as it seems you are to meet me.  Please stay strong and continue to grow.  Feel free to have a dance party all day so I can know you are there.  
Julie Jean

4 comments:

  1. That 28 week baby looks the same size as Max did! Was Max small for 33 week? Here's hoping for 6 long weeks in the hospital!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie, I had my twins at 28 weeks 3 days and they did spend two whole months in the NICU are UVRMC. However I look back on that time with such fondness, love and appreciation for the doctors and nurses who took care on my sweet little 2 pound babies. Yes, they were hooked up to lots of machines, but my boys are healthy, activity, and just like all the other little boys there age. If you need to talk have questions I will help in any way I can. I don't know exactly what you are going through because I couldn't do the hospital bed rest (my little guys were coming and there was nothing anybody could do about it), but I do pray that your little one stays and cooks for as long as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Emily! It means a lot to me to know others have been where I am and that their babies are doing amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved reading all your posts. I miss you guys and pray all will go well!!! You're one tough cookie!!

    ReplyDelete