Penelope here!
Misson: I will take a shower everyday for one week!
WAIT...Don't roll your eyes or gasp in shock! The truth is, I don't shower everyday! Moms do not have a infinite amount of time; between the diapers, soccer, nursing and play dates come on I'm exhausted. Even the smallest tasks (showers) can be tough to accomplish.
That is why Penelope has to take on this task.
See there are plenty of times during the day when decisions have to be made. First you weigh your options trying to find the least stressful approach. For example: Do I do the laundry or pick the cleanest thing off the floor to wear? (Good question Julie!) Do I make a trip to the store for dinner or test my culinary genius on tofu and tuna? ( I am not that good of a cook.) and finally could I make it one more day with this ponytail and stinky armpits?
I'm not a bad person cause I don't shower everyday! In fact I think it’s a good mom that finds herself with these kinds of dilemmas.
It is not for a lack of hygiene or self respect it is truly a balance of time and energy. Before kids I spent an entire hour in the shower just letting the hot water run down my body. I spent an hour on my hair and make-up! AN HOUR, who has time just laying around like that anymore? People I dressed to impress! I never worried if my outfit could be nursed in or how it matched baby poop. I didn’t care if flats made more sense they were less adequate! Now I understand this isn't a problem for some moms. I've seen you HOT moms hanging out at the park with your Anthropology get up and your complete MAC face but for me this is a problem. (P.S. good for all the HOT moms out there I commend you, however this blog might not appeal to you cause you seem to have it all together GO YOU! I wish I was you sometimes!)
So how did it change? Where did all my self pride go? To the loves of my life! So while I am doing the mommy duties, my fabulous alter ego Penlope will be taking on the adurance task of showering every single day this week.
Here are the rules, said shower will include shaving my legs at least 2 times (your welcome JAKE!) and a full body scrub. I will also take 5 min to bask in super super hot water and think about nothing but really, really hot water. After the shower I must get dressed for the day. No workout clothes or PJ’s real life adult human clothes. Clothes that I wouldn’t be embarrassed running into a friend wearing.
*note-I am not including shampooing everyday, the hairdresser in me can’t stomach it (this is a NO NO) and let’s be realistic that adds another 25 min to my daily routine and I have got a date making dinosaurs sounds while I chase Fritz all over the house.
Wish me Luck!
Not sure what this post is all about? Who the crap if Penelope you say?? Check out here and read about my new blog venture.
You make me smile. Been there done that :)
ReplyDeleteGOOD LUCK!!!! I totally appreciate this post! It's nice to have someone else admit the same things =) Especially when it's you because you make it funny and because actually, you usually look great!
ReplyDeleteI have totally let myself go for the same reasons... and I try to ignore the super cute moms at the park who are clearly back in perfect shape and dolled up like they are about to walk down the runway so I don't feel bad about myself. Ugh.